A new year has begun and now is the perfect time to plan your trip to Delaware! If your New Year’s resolution is to try something new and exciting then we have some great suggestions for you! Here are our top things to do in Delaware for 2012:
• Journey back in time by following the new Delaware History Trail. Visit 36 historical sites that begin to tell the story about the state that started the nation. From the grand du Pont estates to the “First Town in the First State,” this trail highlights Delaware’s rich history, heritage, and scenic beauty. Did we mention you could qualify to win a limited-edition “Landmarks and Legacies” book for completing the trail? For details, go to www.visitdelaware.com/history.
• Take part in the revelry of award-winning festivals including the Bridgeville Apple-Scrapple Festival, the Sea Witch Halloween and Fiddlers Festival, and the World Championship Punkin Chunkin. Although, the fun doesn’t stop there! The First State offers year-round festivals for everyone to enjoy. You can listen to the sweet sounds of the DuPont Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, celebrate the history of Delaware at Old Dover Days, enjoy authentic Native American music and dancing at the Nanticoke Indian Powwow, or take in the sights and sounds of the season during Christmas in Odessa. For additional information on festivals in Delaware, visit http://www.visitdelaware.com/things-to-do/festivals/.
• Plan your vacation getaway at one of Delaware’s pristine beaches. You can enjoy fun in the sun, surf-fishing, skimboarding, boating or take a stroll along the boardwalk. If you are heading to our nation’s summer capital, Rehoboth Beach, don’t forget to grab some Thrasher’s fries (with vinegar, of course), a slice of Grottos Pizza, or take the kids to Funland for exciting rides and games! For more information, visit http://www.visitdelaware.com/.
• Experience the thrill of the race at the Monster Mile, home to two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race weekends, or try your luck at gaming at one of Delaware’s three racinos. The Dover International Speedway offers year-round activities that are sure to excite any race enthusiast including guided tours of the track or the opportunity to drive a genuine stock car with Monster Racing. At Delaware Park, Dover Downs Hotel and Casino and Harrington Raceway and Casino, you can place your bets with live table gaming, horse racing, professional sports betting or slot machines! For more information on sports and gaming in Delaware, visit http://www.visitdelaware.com/things-to-do/sports-gaming/.
• Savor the flavor of 13 local wineries and craft breweries featured on the Delaware Wine and Ale Trail. From the Wilmington Riverfront to Rehoboth Beach Avenue, these locations will take you on a delectable journey throughout the state. Enjoy tours and tastings at these unique wineries and breweries. Plus, be on the lookout for enhancements to the Delaware Wine and Ale Trail coming in 2012! For more information, visit http://www.visitdelaware.com/wineandale/.
• Indulge in Delaware’s year-round tax-free shopping! With hundreds of name-brand stores, the First State is a dream come true for any shopper (and shopaholics!). Conveniently located off of I-95, the newly remodeled Christiana Mall is Delaware’s largest and most upscale shopping destination. Plus, check out the “Mile of Style” at the Tanger Outlet Centers in Rehoboth with over 130 factory outlet stores. For additional shopping and leisure locations, visit http://www.visitdelaware.com/things-to-do/shopping/.
Order the 2012-2014 Official State Travel Guide for helpful Delaware travel ideas and tips at http://www.visitdelaware.com/visitors/travel-guide/.
To plan a trip, utilize the Delaware Tourism Trip Planner at www.visitdelaware.com/trip-builder.
For free advice from travelers about great Delaware vacations, go to the Delaware TripAdvisor® web page at www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28929-Delaware-Vacations.html.
Categories: Things to Do
posted on: Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 6:49 PM
by: Delaware Tourism Office