As fall settles in, the Delaware Tourism Office is already looking towards the 2019. This year has brought many new opportunities and successes to the Delaware Tourism Office. Moving into next year, we plan to build on those successes and continue to grow the state’s positive economic impact and awareness to travelers across the region that Delaware has unique and exciting “Endless Discoveries.”
This year we focused on partnerships, new technology and learning more about the visitors to Delaware to help drive effective sales and marketing campaigns. Highlighted below are a few examples of the new initiatives the DTO worked on to increase visibility of Delaware.
- Through partnerships with DelDOT and HMS Host, there are new “Welcome to Delaware” signs greeting thousands of travelers at the Biden Welcome Center and primary entry points to the beaches. The sign at the welcome center has been a top selfie spot for travelers to share their trip on social media.
- The tourism office partnered with the town of Leipsic for the 2nd Annual Leipsic Oyster Festival. It was a big success as attendance doubled from the 2017 event! A very special thank you to Governor Carney, Senator Carper, Representative Carson, Senator Ennis, Secretary Garvin and Secretary Bullock for their support.
- The Group Tour market segment had a record-breaking month in July 2018 for the state Tourism Office with over 638 rooms nights generated through direct sales and marketing efforts.
- Dover Downs Hotel and Casino and DTO served as partners to assist with the Spotlight on the Mid-Atlantic Conference, which welcomed out-of-state group tour planners and regional suppliers to Delaware for their annual conference. DTO coordinated a pre-familiarization tour of the state ahead of the event. Thank you to all the industry partners that participated in this opportunity.
- Sports tourism continues to drive visitation to the state. Please view the article in this e-newsletter to learn more about big events driving big impact for Delaware.
- DE on Tap mobile application continues to grow (more on this also in the October 2018 e-newsletter!)
- New this year we promoted the mobile application the Philadelphia Craft Beer Festival to drive out-of-state visitors to explore Delaware’s exciting craft beverage industry.
- Marketing is key to tourism and staying ahead of technology trends is a must for the State Tourism team. In May 2018, we launched the first virtual tour of Delaware’s “Endless Discoveries” which has now received thousands of views online and at trade shows.
- VisitDelaware.com and State Tourism online marketing are drivers of visitation to the state. In only 6 months, we generated about $800,000 in hotel revenue through online marketing.
- Lastly, but certainly not least. The power of PR remains a top priority of the State Tourism Office. Just in FY19, we’ve generated earned media from national news outlets including USA Today, Food Network and Travel Channel.
With such a busy year, where do we go next? Here’s what’s on the horizon for the Delaware Tourism Office:
- Winter Wonderfest VisitDelaware.com Ice Rink
- 2019 national and regional trade shows
- More integration with Google, Tripadvisor and 360 technologies
- Tourism industry educational workshop
We look forward to working with you to share Delaware’s endless discoveries in 2019.