Traveling to the Delaware beach area? Here are some tips for alternate travel routes!
Traveling to Delaware:
Mid mornings and early afternoons are peak traffic times due to vacation rental check ins including Saturday mornings between 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. We suggest arriving to the beach area Thursday night or late Friday night, if possible.
• Heading into Rehoboth Beach? Try Exit 1B vs. Exit 1A. Just keep on Route 1, over the bridge and take a right at exit 1B, which loops around and takes you to the Rehoboth Avenue and south side-streets the “back way.”
• When you’re heading all the way south to Fenwick Island or the Bethany Beach area, try taking U.S. 113, which swings west of the beach. Keep your eye out for Del. 54 east, which will take you right into Fenwick Island.
• Be aware that the main interchange between I-95 and U.S. 1 is under construction, causing occasional backups. Once the work is complete, however, this interchange will give travelers a swift and easy way to switch from the interstate to the main beach route.
• For a relaxing, fairly traffic-free drive from the north, take Del. 9 starting in New Castle, following it all the way to Dover, where you can hook up with U.S. 113.
• To go around I-95, take U.S. 13 south as an alternate, whether you’re coming off the Delaware Memorial Bridge on I-295, or heading south on I-495 (look for the U.S. 13 exit signs on either road). U.S. 13 then connects with the main beach route (U.S. 1) after a drive of a few miles.
• From the areas of Pennsylvania west of Philadelphia (e.g., Main Line, Downingtown, Coatesville, Valley Forge, Media), your best bet for a worry-free route to I-95 (and thus to U.S. 1) is U.S. 202 south to Del. 141 south, which connects with the interstate in Newport.
• If you’re heading east from the Washington D.C. or Baltimore area, Route 404 is a main route but check a map or online mapping service before heading to the beach area. There are several alternate routes travelers can take after US 50.
Traveling home from Delaware:
Sunday mornings are peak travel times. We suggest leaving Sunday morning before noon or after 8:00 p.m. Expect travel delays heading north between Milford and Dover and Smyrna to Middletown (for an alternate route with less traffic between Smyrna and Middletown take the Rt.9 exit at the Dover Air Force Base and follow Rt.9 up to New Castle).