Top Activities for Social Distancing this July 4th
Enjoy this Independence Day with these activities which can all be done while practicing social distancing.
For history buffs
- Take a stroll down the cobblestone streets of historic New Castle. You can be your own guide to the charming colonial town when you download the New Castle Historical Society’s “audio walk.” Visit just a couple stops or choose all 40 in the area with the full 2-hour tour.
- The Civil War island fortress, Fort Delaware State Park is open and ready to explore. Catch the ferry in Delaware City for the short ride to the park. Reserve your tickets in advance as seating on the ferry is limited.
- Step back in time in Dover with First State Heritage Park. Call ahead to reserve your spot for a 45 minute guided walking tour of downtown or a 30 minute self-guided tour of the Old State House.
- Head to the southern end of the state to quaint, coastal Lewes. You can explore the archives of the Lewes History Museum or take a self-guided tour of the Zwaanendael Museum. Call ahead to each location to reserve a time.
For the outdoor lover
- Stretch your legs with a relaxing walk along one of Delaware’s scenic hiking trails. Remember face coverings are required even during outdoor activities.
- Take the path less traveled when you pedal through one of these beautiful, rural bike trails perfect for social distancing.
- Admire the lovely gardens of Hagley Museum and Library and take a stroll along the Brandywine River that borders the property. Admission is free through the weekend!
For the foodie
- Whether you’re a grill master or would rather do takeout for your Fourth of July cookout, view top restaurants, farmers markets, breweries, dessert-makers and more that will make your meal one to remember!
For the kids