Headed to the beautiful Delaware beaches for the weekend? Make your travel to the sandy paradise an experience you will enjoy by stopping by these local food favorites. Follow this list of beach weekend essentials to keep your hearts and stomachs full! Coffee at Brew Haha! New Castle Start your day off right with a hand-crafted, freshly brewed coffee. Brewhaha is a unique experience that will leave you feeling energized and ready for the day...
Memorial Day at the Delaware Beaches
With the unofficial kickoff to summer just around the corner, it’s time to start planning your Delaware getaway. Check out the list of top ways to spend your Memorial Day in Delaware below.
- Hit the beach : From Lewes to Fenwick, the Delaware beaches have something for everyone. Take advantage of all Cape Henlopen State Park has to offer from it’s hiking and biking trails to secluded soft-sanded beaches. Make a stop at Fenwick Island where you can take a dip in the ocean or build castles in the sand. Find the perfect beach for you and your family with this handy beach style guide.
- Relax on the water : Surrounded by bays and the ocean, there’s no shortage of water activities in Delaware. Get a workout with a kayaking adventure at Trap Pond State Park, a paddle boarding session in Dewey Beach or catch a wave on your surfboard at Delaware Seashore State Park. If the kids are looking for a day of sliding, swimming and more, Jungle Jim’s and Thunder Lagoon are top destinations. For a peaceful ending to your day, try a sunset tour on the Cape Water Taxi.
- Fire up the grill : It’s simple to host a truly Delaware Memorial Day cookout at your home or vacation rental without needing to travel very far. Fresh fruits and veggies are easily found at any of Delaware’s farmers’ markets, all of which are open for the season. Try local blue crabs for your main course from one of Delaware’s top crabhouses which bring in fresh catches bright and early every morning.
- Raise a glass : With more than 30 craft beverage destinations, it’s easy to partake an afternoon or evening tasting of beer, wine, mead, whiskey and more. Let the Delaware on Tap app be your guide on your tasting adventure. The app shows you the closest craft brew locations, lists top events and even helps you hail an Uber.
- Dance to the music : The beach music scene heats up at sundown on Memorial Day weekend with Dewey Beach’s bars hosting live bands until the bars close down at 1 a.m. The Starboard and Rusty Rudder are top spots for live music in the small beach town. The Rehoboth Beach Bandstand’s family-friendly shows makes it the perfect stop for boardwalk entertainment before or after a visit to Funland.
Catch a ride :
Getting around at the Delaware beaches can be easy and fun when you leave the navigating to someone else. Visiting from New Jersey, take a 90-minute beautiful ferry ride on the Cape-May Lewes Ferry. Make your highway drive simple by parking in Lewes and taking DART First State’s Beach Bus. To get between Delaware’s beach towns, take the affordable Jolly Trolley with one-way tickets starting at only $1.
Explore the Delaware Beaches
Order a Discovery Guide
Order a Discovery Guide
Endless possibilities will be delivered to your door when you order a Delaware Discovery Guide. Every turning page shows the charm of attractions, dining, and places to stay in Delaware.