Family Friendly Fun in Wilmington
What does rock climbing, red pandas, baseball games, and train rides all have in common? All are kid-approved fun experiences that only happen in Wilmington, Delaware. With this list of top things to do, outdoor adventures, new discoveries, and more you’ll be all aboard a trip of family fun and your kids may even thank you for it!
- Alapocas Run State Park : For those that are often seeking adventure visit Alapocas Run State Park to embark on the challenge of rock climbing and rappelling. Your kids will love the thrilling experience, and you are sure to love seeing their smiling faces after they’ve successfully reached the top! Rock climbing is available for ages 8 and up, with anyone under 18 requiring adult supervision. Alapocas Run is also home to a storybook trail, a can-do playground, and the Northern Delaware Greenway Trail which is perfect for hiking or biking.
- Brandywine Zoo : Take a stroll on the wild side at the Brandywine Zoo. Here, you’ll meet red pandas, bobcats, lemurs, and a few goats along the way too. This spot is an intimate experience that is always hosting great events. Like the Brandywine Zoo Sip & Stroll where parents can enjoy happy hour craft beverages while kids can enjoy shaved ice and hanging out with the animals!
- Delaware Children's Museum : This bright, imaginative museum is a place where almost everyone can tap into their inner child and discover something new! Your children can explore exhibits from learning the human body, ecosystem, S.T.E.M, finances and more in their own creative ways.
- Delaware Discoveries Trail : Wilmington is home to 4 out of the 11 #DelawareDiscoveries artwork locations throughout the state! Embark on the insta-worthy adventure and watch their imagination come to life throughout the interactive street art. Find all four, and earn your chance to win the kid-friendly prize!
- Frawley Stadium : Peanuts, cracker jacks, and taking your family out to the ball game make for a perfect day! Be sure to root root for the home team, the Wilmington Blue Rocks! This experience includes all there is to love about America’s favorite pastime plus fireworks, outdoor movies, a walking celery mascot, special events and more!
- Jack A. Markell Trail : Explore the great outdoors on this 7.9-mile trail that includes an off-road elevated boardwalk and paved pathways, the Wilmington Riverwalk, and one on-road section through Historic New Castle. Bikes can be rented at DuPont Environmental Education Center, or at Riverwalk Mini Golf when in season.
- Hagley Museum Science Saturdays : Hagley Museum and Library is a place where history, science, and fun come together. Each weekend Hagley hosts different educational, and outdoor activities from robotics to kitchen chemistry, to simply fishing along the river! Be sure to pack a lunch to enjoy a scenic picnic near the flowing river, or under one of the many beautiful shade trees.
- Riverfront Mini Golf : Challenge your family to a competitive game of Mini Golf along the Riverfront Wilmington where the winner gets two soft serve ice cream cones! This scenic 18-hole putt-putt course is fun for all ages, and serves up 9 flavors of delicious ice cream, milk shakes, and more. Plus, after the game you can enjoy a walk along the riverfront or grab a dinner the whole family will love.
- Wilmington and Western Railroad : All aboard new discoveries in Delaware! On the Wilmington and Western Railroad, you’ll witness some of the most scenic parts of the area all while experiencing tracks that date back to 1867. The excitement rolls through year-round with themed rides like the princess and superhero express, and seasonal rides like easter bunny, and Halloween express!