Middle Point - Mason Dixon Marker
It was at this location in 1764 that surveyors Mason and Dixon started their historic survey of the boundaries of Lord Calvert’s Maryland and the Pennsylvania and Delaware holdings of the family of William Penn. Popularly recognized in U. S. history as the dividing line between northern and southern states, this survey resulted in the end of a long-running and sometimes violent dispute, and the establishment of the present day boundaries of the First State. A double crown-stone bearing the coats of arms of the Calverts and Penns still stands here, enclosed in an iron pavilion.The location of the marker is right past the Delaware border right on Route 54. The map below shows the location.
26517 Maryland 54 Delmar, MD 19940
Open for Visitors