Read House & Gardens
Overlooking the Delaware River in Historic New Castle, the 14,000-square-foot Read House is preserved as a National Historic Landmark and a beacon of design inspiration. The house was completed in 1804 for George Read II, son of one of Delaware’s signers of the Declaration of Independence, the 2.5 acres of historic grounds were developed from 1848 through the 1930s. From 1920-1975, Philip & Lydia Laird’s colonial-revival vision of Read House & Gardens became known across America through dozens of magazines from Town & Country to Mademoiselle. Visitors today find their own meaning in the space through indoor and outdoor tours, artistic collaborations, and social events.
42 The Strand New Castle, DE 19720
- Guided Tours
- Virtual Tours/Exhibits
Open for Visitors