How to Help
This year more than ever small businesses and nonprofit organizations need our support. When buying gifts, needing a dinner plan, or simply wanting to do good consider your local businesses, and organizations first. Explore this list of 20 ways you can give back in Delaware.
20 Ways to Give Back
- Donate to support local arts and culture: Make a positive difference for the arts, history and culture attractions throughout the state with a donation to a local museum, art venue or cultural organization.
- Order Take out for your holiday dinners: Have a no stress day, and enjoy new flavors for dinner when you order from top restaurants in Delaware.
- Buy gift cards: The gift that keeps on giving! Shopping local for gift cards is a great option to give your loved ones something you know they will love. Plus, you are giving to small businesses in their time of need.
- Stay in a home away from home: Treat yourself to a getaway spent by the oceanfront or in a cabin connecting with nature at these top places to stay in Delaware.
- Shop local boutiques: Stay in style this season with trendy local boutiques. You can tune in to most boutiques' Facebook pages for their latest offerings, request curbside pickup, or private shopping hours.
- Explore Farmers’ Markets: When traveling in Delaware be sure to stop at local Farmers’ Markets along the state. Offering fresh ingredients, homemade flavors, and more. Spots like Willey Farms, Fifers Orchards, T.S.Smith Orchard Point Market, and Frozen Farmer are open year round for products fresh from the farm.
- Enjoy treats at local bakeries: From donuts to enjoy for breakfast, to the most savory garlic bread you’ll ever taste. Local bakeries are a must stop for those new to town and a great way to support small businesses.
- Bonus bakery idea: Drop a basket of those fresh baked goods to local health care workers who deserve a pick-me-up. My Sisters Fault in Milford has a build your own cake option that makes the perfect sweet surprise!
- Be a wine fairy: Remember during quarantine when people were dropping wine off at doorsteps? Keep those happy vibes going and make the day of someone who could use some Delaware wine.
- Shop merchandise from DE on Tap locations: Show your support for your favorite spot by representing them with shirts, hats, koozies, stickers and more. View this list of craft beverage spots offering cool swag for the season
- Buy gifts from nonprofits: When you buy an at-home art project kit from Dirty Hands DIY you help developing artists in the community!
- Buy a round or dinner for the staff: Some Delaware restaurants offer a “Buy a round for the staff, or “buy dinner for the staff” options on their menu. Make a hard working servers day!
- Support minority owned businesses: Diversity is one of the most beautiful things about each and every one of us. Be sure to visit one of these
minority owned businesses.
- Adopt an artist: “Adopting” a local artist from the Developing Artist Collaboration could help them grow not only their career but the community too!
- Buy unique gifts from the Visit Delaware E-store: Send a Delaware Hoodie to the person who loves Delaware the most in your life. Browse the collection here
- Participate in the world-wide Black Is Beautiful initiative: Buy a beer and make a difference at these participating Delaware breweries
- Share your favorite businesses on your social media: Some of the greatest advertising for small businesses is word of mouth! Share your love for your favorite spots by simply talking about them. Be sure to use #delagram.
- Visit a State Park: Enjoy the great outdoors all while keeping the outdoors great when you buy an annual pass from Delaware State Parks.
- Spend time volunteering: Many businesses offer events that give back to the community. View this list of volunteer organizations that give back or stay up-to-date with local businesses like Volunteer Brewing and Revelation Craft Brewing.
- Challenge yourself to the Delaware Discoveries Trail: Adventure throughout the state and take photos with the artwork along the Delaware Discoveries Trail. Post these photos on your social media to support the local artists who painted them!
Before visiting Delaware be sure to view our Go-To-Guide for tips on how to #ExploreSafelyDE. Please remember to plan ahead and maintain social distancing. Please wear a face covering and bring hand sanitizer. Make sure to review guidelines before arriving at your destination. Some locations may be operating under different capacity or require reservations. Please remember to stay home if you are sick.