In Delaware, summer seems to shift everyone’s thoughts to soft, breezy days by the sea. Beach towns fill with sun-seeking families, and weekends are a whirl of energy, fun and food. But there’s another kind of summer going on not too far from the coast. These are the uniquely Delaware summer adventures that longtime visitors love just as much as beach weekends -- the kind of fair-weather fun that doesn’t require a bathing suit or...
Off the Beaten Path
Ready for the adventurous feeling as you travel off the beaten path in Delaware? From hidden gems to local favorites, here is a look at ways to take the road less traveled. Speaking of roads, make sure to travel one of Delaware’s scenic byways to make the most of your adventure.
- Ashland Nature Center and Mt. Cuba Center : These two secluded gems of natural beauty in Northern Delaware are must-see destinations for traveling off the beaten path in Delaware.
- Wilmington and Western Railroad : Watch as the Red Clay Creek Valley passes outside your window while white smoke billows out of this vintage steam train.
- Auburn Valley : Enjoy the half-mile nature trail and the historic Marshall Steam Museum.
- Sambo’s Tavern (Leipsic) : A visit to Delaware is only complete once you’ve picked a fresh, hot, steamed blue-claw crab at an authentic crabhouse. This is one of the best. Get ready to get delightfully messy time.
- Fifer Orchards : Taste fresh peach in summer, smell blossoming trees in spring or run through a huge corn maze in the fall at this family-run orchard.
- Killens Pond State Park : Wander through wooded trails, paddle along the waterway or enjoy the twist and turns of the water park.
- Lavender Fields : Enjoy the smell of lavender from the moment you arrive. You can enjoy the cottage store with a variety of relaxing products or visit during one of their special events and walking tours.
- Towers Beach : Find this secret favorite of locals and visitors tucked between Dewey and Bethany Beaches.
- Charming Towns : Walk through history, through art, through fun in one of Delaware’s great charming towns – Bellefonte, Delaware City, Milford, New Castle, Odessa or Smyrna.
- Farmers’ Markets : Local’s know that the perfect place for in-season produce and handcrafted goods is one of its farmers’ markets. Some of the top locations include the Riverwalk in Milford and historic Lewes.