Cape May Lewes Ferry
Beach Travel Tips
These easy-to-use travel tips will make getting to and around the Delaware beaches a breeze. Whether you’re coming from Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New York or beyond, make a smart travel strategy part of your trip planning.
Helpful travel tips
- Make the most of your trip and breeze to the beaches by choosing a midweek check-in or travel before Saturday morning when most visitors will be checking into their rentals.
- For trips south of the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach/Dewey Beach areas, US 13 or US 113 are a scenic alternative to DE Route 1.
- Catch a ride aboard to Cape May-Lewes Ferry for a pleasant 90-minute ride from New Jersey to the Delaware beaches. Bring your car or travel on foot.
Check for Updates
- Download DelDOT’s free app and tune in to WTMC 1380 AM for up-to-the-minute traffic information from DelDOT. DelDOT’s Twitter and Facebook feeds are also updated in real time.
- Be aware of major spring and summer events, including the NASCAR races at Dover International Speedway and the Firefly Music Festival at The Woodlands in Dover by following DelDOT and the speedway on social media.
How to Ride and where to park
- Shorten the drive by parking at DART First State’s Lewes Transit Center and catch DART Beach Bus Service. Feel free to bring your bike as all Beach buses are equipped with bike racks.
- Shoppers visiting the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth Beach outlets can take advantage of the Tanger Outlet shuttle service to get from center to center.
- Several businesses rent bicycles in Rehoboth Beach including All Wheels Bike & Scooter, Atlantic Cycles, Bike to Go, Bob’s Bikes and Seagreen Bicycle.
- Day trippers and visitors can ease their trip by downloading the Parkmobile app for coin-free parking at metered spaces in downtown Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Lewes and Bethany Beach.
- In Dewey Beach take advantage of free parking from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.
Finding a place on the beach
- Everyone loves the perfect spot on the sand. Find yours in the morning and enjoy that gorgeous view. For more space on the sand in Rehoboth Beach, try strolling a little north or south of Rehoboth Avenue.