Cape May Lewes Ferry
Beach Travel Tips
These easy-to-use travel tips will get you to the Delaware beaches for a carefree vacation. So whether you’re coming from Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New York or beyond, make a smart travel strategy part of your trip planning.
Helpful travel tips
- Make the most of your trip and breeze to the beaches by choosing a midweek check-in. Or travel before Saturday morning which is a heavy travel time due to rental turnover.
- For trips south of the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach/Dewey Beach areas, US 13 or US 113 are a scenic alternative to DE Route 1.
Check for Updates
- Download DelDOT’s free app from the Apple App Store or Google Play by searching for “DelDOT.” WTMC 1380 AM also broadcasts traffic information from DelDOT and streams the same audio feed to the DelDOT app. DelDOT’s Twitter and Facebook feeds are also updated in real time.
- Be aware of major spring and summer events, including the NASCAR races at Dover International Speedway and the Firefly Music Festival at The Woodlands in Dover. DelDOT, the speedway and local authorities jointly issue travel information via partner social media platforms.
Where to Park, How to Ride
- Day trippers and visitors can ease their trip by downloading the Parkmobile app for pay-by-phone parking at metered spaces in downtown Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Lewes and Bethany Beach.
- Utilize the free parking at the Lewes Transit Center or the Rehoboth Beach Park & Ride lot on Shuttle Road. The Rehoboth Beach Park & Ride charges a $10 fee which includes four free daily transit pass.
Once the $10 parking fee is paid, travelers who need to use their car during the day can exit and reenter the lot without having to pay again.
- Shoppers visiting the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth Beach outlets can take advantage of the Tanger Outlet shuttle service to get from center to center.
- To shorten the drive, park at the Lewes Transit Center and catch DART Beach Bus Service.
- DART Beach buses are equipped with bike racks.
- Several businesses rent bicycles in Rehoboth Beach including All Wheels Bike & Scooter, Atlantic Cycles, Bike to Go, Bob’s Bikes and Seagreen Bicycle.
- In Dewey Beach take advantage of free parking from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Wednesday which is helpful for attending Movies on the Beach on Monday nights or beach bonfires on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
Finding a place on the beach
- Everyone loves the perfect spot on the sand. Find yours in the morning and enjoy that gorgeous view. For more space on the sand in Rehoboth Beach, try strolling a little north or south of Rehoboth Avenue.
*Some tips courtesy of Delaware Department of Transportation and the Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach Chamber of Commerce.