Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge
Top Outdoor Attractions and Events in Delaware
Here’s a handy tip for getting the most out of your next Delaware vacation:
Get out in the open. Get under the skies. Get up and get going to the top outdoor activities and best outdoor attractions in Delaware, and you’ll quickly discover a fresh appreciation for the state and its people.
That’s true in part because of Delaware’s pleasantly diverse geography, which shifts from coastal solitude to gently rolling hills to beach-resort bustle in just a short drive. That means Delaware has a bit of something for everyone, from die-hard adventurers to laid-back wanderers.
So take your pick of outdoor fun, or choose from some favorite Delaware outdoor attractions, and make your next Delaware vacation a true adventure:
Top outdoor activities in Delaware:
- Watersports: The Delaware beach resorts are full of opportunities to skimboard, jet-ski or even surf, thanks to such attractions as Delmarva Board Sport Adventures and Action Watercraft in Fenwick.
- Fishing: The ocean and the inland bays offer a variety of stellar fishing options in Delaware, either from a boat or from the edge of a pier. Cape Henlopen State Park and Delaware Seashore State park are hotspots.
- Sunbathing: Always a top outdoor activity along Delaware’s coastal resorts, from Rehoboth Beach to Fenwick Island.
- Boating, biking, hiking/running: Dozens of activities are ready-made for your enjoyment along the Delaware Outdoor Trail, a step-by-step guide to top outdoor activities.
- Birding: Delaware’s two National Wildlife refuges (Bombay Hook and Prime Hook) are top destinations for world-class bird-watching. See the Birding in Delaware Guide for more.
Top outdoor attractions in Delaware:
- Cape Henlopen State Park: Great for hiking, biking, fishing – or just enjoying the breathtaking views.
- Delaware Seashore State Park: Lying on the beach or fishing from the jetty, this is a top spot for enjoying the coastal beauty of Delaware.
- Trap Pond State Park: Kayaking amid the bald cypress trees is an unforgettable Delaware experience.
- Scenic Drives: To enjoy the outdoors from the comfort of your car, check out some of the state’s best Scenic Drives.
- Brandywine Creek State Park: One of the most scenic views in Delaware.
- Ashland Nature Center: A prime spot for discovering the flora and fauna of northern Delaware.
- Bombay Hook, Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuges: Coastal beauty in its purest form.
- Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk: An essential experience for enjoying seaside sounds and smells.
- Lums Pond State Park/Go Ape! Treetop Adventure Course: A great state park is made even better when you’re swinging through the trees.