World Cafe Live at the Queen
Performing arts and theatres in Delaware
When it comes to concerts, plays and theatre productions, Delaware boasts some distinct advantages: Intimate venues, affordable ticket prices and most importantly, top-notch performers.
That’s true in part because of Delaware’s good fortune in being situated close to some of the East Coast’s bigger cities, but far enough out of the mainstream to keep costs and crowds to a minimum.
Here’s a look at some of the state’s top venues for theatre concerts, musicals and other theatre productions (going from north to south):
- The Grand Opera House (Wilmington): Catch of some of the nation’s top music acts and performers. Plus, keep an eye out for shows by the First State Ballet, OperaDelaware and the Delaware Symphony Orchestra.
- World Café Live at the Queen (Wilmington): Two stages for live music (and fine dining) in a renovated classic movie house.
- Playhouse on Rodney Square (Wilmington): Some of the world’s finest actors have performed Off-Broadway productions here.
- Delaware Theatre Company (Wilmington): The state’s largest professional theatre is a landmark on the Christina Riverfront entertainment district.
- Wilmington Drama League (Wilmington): One of the oldest community theatres in the country.
- Delaware Children’s Theatre (Wilmington): Always a fun family adventure.
- The Candlelight Theatre (North Wilmington): Dining and entertainment in the arts community of Ardentown.
- University of Delaware Resident Ensemble Players (Newark): A dependably varied lineup of classic, modern, and contemporary plays.
- Smyrna Opera House (Smyrna): Historic theatre is a showcase for local performers.
- Dover Downs Hotel & Casino (Dover): A little bit of Vegas-style flash in one of the state’s three casinos.
- Riverfront Theatre (Milford): The Second Street Players stage shows for kids and grown-ups alike.
- Possum Point Players (Georgetown): Community theatre takes on Broadway-style productions.
- Clear Space Theatre Company (Rehoboth Beach): Professional acting company in the heart of the Delaware beach resorts.
- Dickens Parlour Theatre (Millville/Bethany Beach): Where magic comes to the Delaware beaches.
- Freeman Stage at Bayside (Selbyville): Contemporary musical performances near the beach resorts.