As cool, crisp days settle and the fall season in Delaware is made official, a need for celebration comes to life, bringing with it joyous festivals, delicious bites and outdoor fun. With so many festive activities and experiences embodying the spirit of fall across the state, it’s easy to indulge in a day, weekend or more of fun in Delaware, when fall shines its spotlight on the state’s hidden gems.
Fall Foliage in Delaware
Nature bursts with beauty every autumn in Delaware. Fall foliage brings a lovely contrast of crimson and gold leaves against the crystal blue skies across the lush wooded hills of Northern Delaware. Farther south along the breezy stretches of coast, a softer glow emerges day by day. It’s a time of glorious, crisp weather making it a perfect time of year for day-trippers and weekend travelers to hop in their cars and explore some of the state’s best autumn drives. Here are just a few of Delaware’s top spots for fall foliage.
- Scenic Drives : Fall sightseers are sure to be pleased with a drive down Delaware's country roads that wind their way through the rolling hills of the northern part of the state, and serve as the home to majestic mansions like Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library, Hagley Museum and Library and Nemours Estate, where Delaware’s fall foliage enjoys a regal setting.
- Capture the Beauty : Get up-close-and-personal with fall’s natural beauty at Mt. Cuba Center in scenic northwestern Delaware that offers excellent opportunities for photographers looking to capture the splendor of the season. For bird lovers, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge is perfect for photographing native and migrating birds of all kinds against a beautiful backdrop of wetlands and vibrant autumn leaves.
- Connect with Nature : Experience the sparkling beauty of oranges, reds, and yellows reflect on the water at Trap Pond State Park, Killens Pond State Park (featuring a nature center and autumn hayrides), or Bellevue State Park.
- Off the Beaten Path : Admire the scenery by taking the roads less traveled on Delaware’s easy-to-navigate scenic byways, which explore the whole state from the rustic farmlands, wooded areas and historic towns.
- Insta-Worthy Spots : Find the perfect Insta-worthy moment and visit a one-of-a-kind experience in Delaware with the new Delaware Discoveries Trail. Explore nine pieces of interactive street artwork throughout the state that you won’t see anywhere else.
- Fall Flavors : While enjoying the beauty of Delaware’s vibrant fall foliage, visitors can sip their way through Delaware on Tap. Stops at Delaware Wineries like Nassau Valley Vineyard, Harvest Ridge Winery, Salted Vines Vineyard and Winery, and Pizzadili Vineyard and Winery are not to be missed at this time of year.