As cool, crisp days settle and the fall season in Delaware is made official, a need for celebration comes to life, bringing with it joyous festivals, delicious bites and outdoor fun. With so many festive activities and experiences embodying the spirit of fall across the state, it’s easy to indulge in a day, weekend or more of fun in Delaware, when fall shines its spotlight on the state’s hidden gems.
Delaware’s Fall Bucket List
As temperatures begin to cool, Delaware starts celebrating autumn with everything from tasty foods to chilling adventures. Create a fall bucket list by viewing top sights, things to do and more below!
- Pick the Perfect Pumpkin : In Delaware pumpkins are for much more than pie. Start off by picking your own pumpkin from Fifer Orchards. Carve out your truly unique design before treating yourself to some apple cider donuts and seasonal crisp apples.
- Pumpkin Spice Everything : Once you pick you the perfect pumpkin, enjoy a fall seasoned coffee or craft beverage. Try out the local fall flavors at dining spots with pumpkin bars, butternut squash soup and so much more.
- Admire Fall Foliage : Experience the beauty of radiant reds, yellows and oranges that shine across the state every autumn. View the majestic colors during a visit to northern Delaware’s rural rolling hills, known for their fall beauty, or during a drive on one of Delaware’s scenic byways that will lead you down the roads less traveled. See more foliage viewing suggestions here.
- Enjoy Fall Flavors : As the leaves begin to change, so do the craft beverages. Delaware on Tap locations are rolling out their fall brews and cocktails all in all their seasonal deliciousness. Now you can work your way up and down the state and sample all the flavors of caramel, malt, spice, and of course, pumpkin.
- Explore the Outdoors : Breathe in the crisp air and hear the crunch of fallen leaves beneath your boots during a hike through one of Delaware’s natural gems. Pristine State parks and wildlife refuges offer plenty of activities to keep you busy this fall. Get moving, admire the beautiful colors surrounding you and keep an eye out for the many different bird species passing through the area during their annual migration south.
- Shop Till You Drop : Autumn is a great time to get a jump start on holiday shopping and at the beaches, where you can enjoy the cool, refreshing ocean breeze while browsing. A stroll down Penny Lane makes for a relaxing experience taking in the crisp fall breeze, and browsing the most unique boutique shops. With Tanger Outlets only minutes away, you’ll be hearing more great finds and deals calling your name. Travel north and fall in love with tax-free shopping at Christiana Mall’s high-end retailers.
Have a Frightful Halloween :
Prepare yourself for a scare during a Ghost Tour at the historic Fort Delaware or a visit to Frightland featuring a haunted house, hayrides and more.
- Off-season at the Beaches : As the seasons change and the summer beach season ends, the Delaware beaches remain vibrant with dining, soaking up the warmth of fall days and even in brisk days you can enjoy cozying up to the fireplace at Bellmoor Inn and Spa.
Explore more things to do
Order a Discovery Guide
Order a Discovery Guide
Endless possibilities will be delivered to your door when you order a Delaware Discovery Guide. Every turning page shows the charm of attractions, dining, and places to stay in Delaware.